Senior Football League Final



On the 8th of April Ardscoil Rathangan set out to conquer the league title but suffered a close defeat to Scoil Dara of Kilcock.

Jimmy Hyland of Rathangan started off the game with a brilliant shot but unfortunately it veered wide. Shortly afterwards, in the third minute, Cian Duke scored a mighty goal for the Kilcock lads, putting the first score of the match on the scoreboard. Two minutes later, Aaron Williams scored a second goal for the opposition putting them 6 points up.

In the 9th minute of the game, Kilcock were awarded a free which Duke answered with a point.

Rathangan’s first score of the game followed this in the 13th minute, with a point from Jimmy Hyland. Shane O’Brien of Rathangan closed the gap in the score even further with a fine goal. Rathangan continued their scoring streak with a successful free from Hyland.

Kilcock answered this with 2 consecutive points to keep them in the lead. Rathangan’s Darren Kelly countered these scores with a goal of his own. Shortly afterwards, Ruairi O’Neill took a chance at a goal which was brilliantly saved by Fionn Talbot, but in a bid to secure another goal for Rathangan, Darren caught the rebound and kicks it in the back of the net.

Luke Sheridan then sent the ball over the bar for the opposition, and two more points followed closely to put Kilcock one point ahead at half-time.

Rathangan came back after half-time to prove a point, opening with a score over the bar from Shane O’Brien.

Jimmy Hyland followed him 5 minutes later with another point putting them in the lead. To counter this, Kilcock sent two more points over, the second of which being a free taken by Cian Duke.

Almost immediatly after, Rathangan’s goalkeeper Eoghan Fitzpatrick quelled the opposition’s thirst to get further in the lead by saving a goal. Adamant to score, Aaron Williams added another point to the scoreboard for Kilcock. Rathangan were then awarded a free which Hyland achieved a free from. A minute later he sent another ball flying over, adding yet another point to his team’s tally. It was at this point that Kilcock attempted to get another score but they were quickly shut down by a tremendous save by Fitzpatrick. Soon after, Duke gained another point for Scoil Dara with a free kick. They followed this with 3 more points on the scoreboard.

Conor Jamieson of Rathangan closed the game with a fantastic goal before the whistle blew for full-time. However, having a deficit of 2 points, Ardscoil Rathangan did not prevail at this league final.

FT score: 2-14 to 4-6